Justice Ventures International
Director of Development
Director of Development–Justice Ventures Intl
The Director of Development is responsible to create and manage a comprehensive fundraising program that significantly increases JVI’s donation revenue and grows JVI’s donation database.
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland (may consider remote)
Reports To: President & CEO
Directly Supervises: Development Coordinators, Regional Ambassadors, Communications Personnel and engages with various Development/Marketing Contractors
Category: Salary, Full Time
Full Job Summary
The Director of Development is responsible to manage the vision for JVI’s development efforts. He or she is responsible to recruit and lead development team members to fulfill this vision.
He or she provides leadership, accountability, and mentoring to the development team in the identification, qualification, strategic engagement, solicitation, and highly personalized stewardship of prospects and donors.
- Create and manage the annual development strategic plan in coordination with the CEO and the development committee of the Board of Directors.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the development department; supervise and evaluate department staff: (2) Development Coordinators (U.S. and India), (2) Communications Personnel (U.S. and India).
- Collaborate and engage with JVI’s network of development/marketing contractors.
- Maintain a culture of accountability, transparency, and performance.
- Work with the development committee of the Board of Directors to equip and assist them in carrying out their responsibilities.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit prospects capable of making major gifts to JVI.
- Support the CEO in portfolio management and execution of strategies related to individual, family foundation, corporate prospects, and donors at the $10,000 and up gift capacity.
- Maintain high-quality, long-term relationships with past and potential donors that maximize their capacity to provide financial support to JVI projects and programs.
- Generate innovative and creative engagement, solicitation, and acquisition strategies.
- Plan and execute fundraising events and solicit event sponsorships.
- Exceed annual productivity goals, including meaningful moves/substantive contacts, major gift proposals, gifts, and new pledges.
- Develop the JVI Ambassador Program to build a team of efficient regional fundraisers located throughout the country.
- Demonstrate ability to manage people effectively in a complex, multi-tasked organization; plan strategically; interact effectively with key leaders, field staff, and volunteers.
- Serve in the development and content creation of all written fundraising materials, including grant proposals, appeal letters, funding reports, etc.
- Serve in the development of key fundraising campaigns, planning for and overseeing the execution of all campaign fundraising.
- Other development duties assigned by CEO.
Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of five years of leadership experience including time in a management role.
- Personal profession of Christian faith and commitment to the mission and vision of JVI.
- Hands-on experience with major gift fundraising including foundation grants.
- Record of success in achieving fund development goals.
- Self-starting, entrepreneurial, independent sensibility required.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities: Able to assume a role of authority as necessary; advocate new ideas, even when risk is involved; set an example for co-workers; delegate responsibility and empower direct reports to make decisions; provide constructive feedback to others.
- Relationship Management: Able to develop rapport with others and recognize their concerns and feelings; build and maintain long term-associations based on trust; help others.
- Decision Making & Problem-Solving: Able to take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a realistic understanding of issues; able to use reason, even when dealing with emotional topics; review facts and weigh options.
- Excellent written and verbal communications.
- Ability to speak comfortably and compellingly to groups of all sizes.
- Willingness to travel (domestic and internationally) on occasion.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.