Position Title: Area Program Manager
Position Location: Shinyanga Program Office, Tanzania
Managers Position: Country Director
Supervises: Sanitation and Hygiene Coordinator, WASH Program Engineer and Account Assistant
Lifewater is an established Christian non-profit and community development organization walking with the rural poor to provide access to safe water, and improved sanitation and hygiene, one village at a time. For 45 years, we have served more than 2.5 million people in 40+ countries with life-saving clean water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) practices. Lifewater currently serves in Cambodia, Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Uganda. Motivated by our faith in Jesus Christ, we serve the least and last as a demonstration of God’s unconditional love for all people. Lifewater International serves all people, regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, or gender. Lifewater International Tanzania seeks to recruit qualified persons to fill the vacant position of Area Programme Manager.
The Area Programme Manager is responsible for providing leadership and guidance to the team to ensure that vulnerable children, families and communities achieve improved quality of life resulting from increased access to water, sanitation and hygiene services. The Area Programme Manager provides proactive, thoughtful, transparent and accountable leadership and management of program teams, engineering staff and local stakeholders involved in the designing, management, monitoring and evaluation of Lifewater’s Vision of a Healthy Village (VHV) program strategy in the area of operation under his/her jurisdiction. The APM is responsible for the successful implementation and reporting of programme results to LI management and key stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Leads the development of a detailed implementation plan and guide implementation of the program and ensure monitoring progress towards program objectives.
• Leads program team on annual planning and budgeting for all engineering and community health activities of the programs and projects in the district/s of assignment in line with LI planning and budgeting guidelines and timelines.
• Develops strategic relationships (network and liaise) with district-level stakeholders and represent LI in relevant fora District Water and Sanitation Coordination meetings, District WASH advocacy meetings, Sanitation Week celebrations…etc. for purposes of shared learning and leveraging on their WASH activities as appropriate.
• Offers spiritual leadership to the team through developing a daily morning devotion staff roaster and conducting daily morning devotions for staff.
• Participates in the recruitment, orientation & on-boarding of staff for effective program delivery in the district(s) of assignment.
• Mentors, coaches, and supervises staff to ensure that they are adequately supported to execute their duties.
• Holds Program Management Team (PMT) meetings and share feedback with the Country Director
• Liaises with the LI Tanzania Country Director to develop, document, and operationalize all internal processes for program implementation, monitoring, and evaluation.
• Collaborates with the Country Director in developing new plans, and assessing feasibility of new/strategic areas of operation; coordinates baselines, reviews, and evaluations of the programs
• Takes a lead in rolling out the water works sustainability initiatives and support in the implementation of the LI O&M Strategy
• Supports and guides the implementation of LI church mobilization strategy in the district of assignment, develops and nurtures effective relationship with the church partners to demonstrate the love of Christ among the vulnerable communities
• Oversees the training of health workers and effective promotion and reporting of WASH activities at health care facilities
• Ensures the quality and integrity of implementation, including adherence to technical guidelines, administrative systems, and established deadlines
• Facilitates effective and relevant capacity building events for WASH program staffs and supports them in the implementation of LI’s VHV strategy
• Carries out performance management function including performance monitoring, end of probation appraisals and setting 90 days’ performance targets for staff
• Monitors and manage all LI resources including program budgets and expenditures and ensure timely accountability that is in line with LI standards
• Supports audit processes and ensure that all audit findings and recommendations are acted on thoroughly and timely in accordance with Lifewater audit policies.
• Manages the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual program plans as well as the related implementation and required progress reports.
• Carries out any other tasks assigned by the Tanzania Country Director from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Must have a University degree in Environmental Sciences, Public Health, Education, Social Sciences, Social Work and Social Administration, Development Studies, or related field.
• Must have at least 6 years’ experience in community development preferably in the field of water engineering, sanitation and hygiene or public health, Social Sciences, Social Work and Social Administration, Development Studies, or related field, 3 of which should be in a managerial position coordinating rural water & sanitation programs.
• Must have good analytical and problem solving skills.
• Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken.
• Knowledge of financial and human resource management.
• Must be able to communicate in a cross-cultural environment.
• Must be a team player and able to work with and amongst the LI team and key stakeholders in the target districts towards realizing and attaining key program milestones
• Must be able to support Lifewater’s mission, vision, and core values; able to cope with cross-cultural and denominational diversities.
Your "Thursday Three" email gives you the latest news of interest and upcoming events. It focuses on the "sweet spot" where the Christian world meets the development and policy worlds.
P.O. Box 15815
Washington DC, 20003
© 2022 Accord Network. All rights reserved.