World Vision is hiring a Business Development Manager within the Humanitarian and Emergency Affairs Team.
At a Glance
Role: Business Development Manager, Humanitarian and Emergency Affairs
Location: Washington D.C. or Remote (Remote Location in 35+ States Possible)
Reports to: Director of Emergency Funding, Humanitarian and Emergency Affairs Team
Required experience: Bachelor’s degree in international development/relations, health, public health, economics, or a related technical discipline strongly preferred; requires work experience in international relief and development with preference given to those with field experience in complex emergency responses or fragile contexts. Experience must include a minimum of 3-5 years of relevant work experience. US Government funding experience is required with preference for the USAID’s Bureau of Humanitarian Affairs (BHA) or the State Department’s Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM); substantive relevant experience in proposal development for other multilateral or bilateral donors may be considered.
Work Authorization: Must be authorized to work in the USA for any employer.
Travel: Up to 25% of the time both in development and fragile contexts.
World Vision is looking for a Business Development Manager to join our growing Humanitarian and Emergency Affairs team. This position will work closely with World Vision’s National Offices overseas to identify and apply for new opportunities among public, private and non-profit sources of funding. The position will:
• Coordinate and manage all components of the proposal development process, ensuring a high quality and timely submission.
• Manage and or/support post submission and lessons learned processes. Utilize program design expertise to guide and lead quality program design (involving US and field based technical and finance colleagues) that builds on evidence-based approaches and is responsive to the guidelines and specification outlined by the donor.
• Engage in the Teams’ development of best practice and evidenced base approaches utilized in proposals.
• Help carry out our Christian organization’s mission and strategy. Candidates must be in agreement with and help to enhance World Vision’s Mission, Vision, and Values. Prior to applying, candidates should read World Vision’s Statement of Christian faith.
• Personify the ministry of World Vision by witnessing to Christ and ministering to others through life, deed, word and sign.
Your Responsibilities Will Include:
• Pre-positioning: identify relevant upcoming funding opportunities, track grant forecasts, and using resources for advance intelligence gathering; prepare recommendations based on specific go/no-go decision criteria; identify and reach out to potential partners; manage pre-solicitation proposal preparations and bid planning; participate in pre-design meetings and drafting sections of the proposal in advance of the solicitation; coordinate and facilitate design workshops; support field teams to collect relevant country and technical area information that informs design.
• Proposal Preparation and Coordination: Lead the coordination and development of proposals from initial development to grant submissions; manage partners’ inputs to the cost application; coordinate/provide technical input to field and US-based finance officers to support the completion of the cost application in alignment with the technical program design; manage proposal review process and check for budget alignment, responsiveness and compliance with donor guidelines; build effective working relationships with partners on proposal bids; support the management of consultants recruited to support proposal development; support the recruitment process to ensure identification and inclusion of qualified key personnel in proposals.
• Post Submission: Contribute to collecting and sharing proposal process lessons learned after the submission; coordinate program design hand over to program manager(s).
• External Engagement and Networking:Identify U.S., international, and local partners for future opportunities; arrange client meetings and calls with partners; conduct client outreach and follow up with subject matter experts for organizing meeting; support technical advisors to develop organizational capability statements in coordination with the communications team.
• Work collaboratively with team members when assigned to work as part of a team.
• Keep Christ central in our individual and corporate lives. Attend and participate in the leadership of devotions, weekly Chapel services and regular prayer
• Perform other duties as assigned.
You’ll Bring These Skills:
• Demonstrated strong writing, editing, and communication skills
• Strong skills with Microsoft Office Suite
• Strategic planning and excellent time management skills
• Minimum 3-5 years working in international relief and development with major donors and business development, preferably with USAID
• Two or more years of experience working on USAID proposal responses as a prime or sub-partner, including participating in capture efforts, writing relevant sections of proposals, and developing proposal budgets
• Willingness and availability to travel internationally up to 25% of the time
• Ability to travel internationally on short notice
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in international development/relations, health, public health, economics, or a related technical discipline strongly preferred. In addition to education or education equivalent, requires work experience in international relief and development. Experience must include a minimum of 3-5 years of relevant work experience. Experience with USG solicitation is required; substantive relevant experience in proposal development for other multilateral or bilateral donors may be considered within the years of experience sought.
Additional Skills We Are Interested In:
• Keen interest and excitement in business development, entrepreneurial interests, willingness to learn, ambition to take on positions of increasing responsibility.
• Critical thinking on emergency response, refugees, climate change, disaster risk reduction
• Detail-oriented, flexible, and able to handle multiple concurrent tasks.
• Able to work independently as well as part of a team.
• Able to quick build cross cultural relationships with field-based counter parts.
• Proficient in one or more foreign languages (French, Arabic, Spanish, Swahili)
• Technical background in WASH, Cash/Voucher programming, Disaster Risk Reduction, M&E, Protection (GBV, Mental Health and Psychosocial Support, Child Protection), Agriculture and Livelihoods highly preferred.
Where This Job Could Take Your Career:
You’ll have an opportunity to grow the impact of World Vision. You’ll be part of World Vision USA as well as part of the larger World Vision International Partnership. Globally, we have over 40,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries.
About World Vision:
We’re a global Christian humanitarian organization. We partner with children, families, and their communities to empower them as they reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice. For nearly the last 70 years, World Vision has followed Jesus’ example to show unconditional love to the poor and oppressed. We serve every child regardless of faith.
Salary Range & Benefits:
Your salary is important to you, so it’s important to us. Please share your salary expectations with us in the application process to get the conversation started. We also have a robust and comprehensive benefits package to round out our total compensation package. Click here to learn more.
Washington, D.C. preferred. Remote possible.
Working Environment / Conditions
Standard office environment. Domestic and international travel required up to 20% of the time.
Your "Thursday Three" email gives you the latest news of interest and upcoming events. It focuses on the "sweet spot" where the Christian world meets the development and policy worlds.
P.O. Box 15815
Washington DC, 20003
© 2022 Accord Network. All rights reserved.