Environmental Scanning & Research Specialist
We’re looking for a specialist to join our collaborative international research team who can contribute to advancing organizational knowledge and programmatic effectiveness. You will be responsible for carrying out primarily quantitative in-depth analysis and data triangulation to be used for environmental scanning and strategy initiatives, to increase the effectiveness of Compassion’s child development programs, leadership decision-making and marketing platforms.
*Environmental scanning is the identification and monitoring of factors from both inside and outside the organization that may impact the long-term strategy.*
PLEASE NOTE: This remote position can be based anywhere in the United States or any of our 25 field countries.
What will you do?
- Maintain a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Act as an advocate to raise the awareness of the needs of children. Understand Christ’s mandate to protect children. Commit to and prioritize child protection considerations in all decision-making, tasks and activities across the ministry. Abide by all behavioral expectations in Compassion’s Statement of Commitment to Child Protection and Code of Conduct. Report any concerns of abuse, neglect or exploitation of children through Compassion’s internal reporting process and appropriately support responses to incidents if they occur.
- Uphold and engage in Compassion’s core Cultural Behaviors.
- Plan, design and conduct new quantitative analysis, using internal & external data sources, and rigorous approaches to generate reliable, timely and meaningful information to stakeholders. This includes stakeholder engagement, development of contextualized environmental scanning models, predictive forecasting & trend analysis, in-depth analysis using the necessary data analysis tools (e.g., computer-based text analysis and advanced statistics software), report writing and presentation to multiple audiences and forums.
- Using causal methods, participate in ongoing impact evaluations & outcome data in collaboration with external data sources and existing intervention data to triangulate and assess the effectiveness of all parts of Compassion’s child development programs.
- Advise program managers, field office staff and leadership on relevant programmatic issues when requested and through contribution to and/or leadership of multi-departmental project, creative thinking and analysis teams.
- Interface with other Compassion departments and individuals who collect information and data to minimize duplication of effort, build cooperation and support the growth of quality information gathering across the organization.
- Present analysis findings to audiences to engage non-research staff in research results.
What do you bring?
- Master’s degree in economics, econometrics, statistics, applied psychology, international economics, international development or other related field with major components that include research methods, at least two semesters of econometrics or advanced statistics, and impact evaluations.
- Three years’ recent hands-on research &/or quantitative analysis experience, including at least one year applied experience in conducting rigorous quasi-experimental or experimental methods and/or in cross-cultural settings that include child and/or community development, public health, or similar.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing strong cross-functional and multi-cultural relationships and constantly advocate for high-quality findings & modeling in international field countries.
- Proficiency in Advanced Statistical Analysis, including Propensity Score Matching, Multi-level Regression, Modelling, predictive forecasting, factor analysis (SEM & EFA); advanced experience of one or more statistical software packages (STATA preferred).
- Excellent and creative communication skills, both written and verbal, in English.
- Proficiency in at least one of the languages spoken in Compassion countries preferred.
*** Equivalent education, training and/or certification may be substituted for experience and education shown above ***
Why work here?
- The mission: Join a team that is motivated to release children from poverty in Jesus’ name.
- Our benefits: Receive generous paid time off, 10% contribution to a 403(b)-retirement fund in addition to your salary, excellent health-care coverage, free short-term professional counseling, and more.
- Spiritual growth opportunities: Participate in regular chapel services, prayer groups, and department devotionals.
Working Environment: Remote, work from home.
Physical Demands: International travel to remote locations with potentially hazardous and challenging conditions.
Travel Requirements: May be required to travel up to 20% of normal schedule.