Global Policies & Governance Director
Location: Charleston, SC
Employment Type: Full-Time
Department: EL Administration
What is the opportunity? The Global Policies & Governance Director is responsible for ensuring that Water Mission’s policies and procedures are clear, concise, organized, and comply with legal, regulatory, ethical, and biblical standards. In addition, this person will oversee governance requirements and duties of each country affiliate to ensure adherence to external regulations and internal policies. He/She will work with senior leadership and HR to enforce policies in all aspects and levels of business, perform audits, as well as provide guidance on compliance matters.
With this being a new role, this person will build the framework, governance process, and training approach needed for a global policies manual and will work with senior leadership to ensure that all country affiliates are properly set up from a legal and tax perspective with the right governance documents in place.
The successful candidate will be an excellent communicator, with in-depth knowledge of the latest industry procedures and regulations. This person should be well-versed in legal guidelines and corporate and non-profit governance best practices. They must be a professional with high ethical standards who works diligently to complete their duties keeping in mind the objectives of the business. The ideal candidate will be comfortable saying “no” when necessary. This position is based in Charleston, SC, and will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
A successful Global Policy Director will:
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, donors, charitable beneficiaries, and general public
- Draft, modify, and implement global company policies
- Develop and oversee control systems to prevent or deal with violations of legal guidelines and internal policies
- Evaluate the efficiency of controls and improve them continuously
- Lead the research and writing efforts in developing policy recommendations for core areas and generate ideas for new policy areas that need to be addressed
- Ensure all country affiliates are set up properly from a legal and tax perspective
- Monitor compliance and new regulations affecting country governance, taking action as needed.
- Collaborate with legal counsel and Human Resources to monitor enforcement of standards and regulations
- Assess the business’s future ventures to identify possible compliance risks
- Review the work of colleagues when necessary to identify compliance issues and provide advice or training
- Keep abreast of regulatory developments that impact the organization
- Prepare reports for senior management and external regulatory bodies as appropriate
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity
- 5+ years of experience with creating, implementing and monitoring global policies
- BS/BA in public policy, public administration, law, finance, business administration or related field
- Certified compliance professional is a plus
- In-depth knowledge of the industry’s standards and regulations
- Excellent knowledge of reporting procedures and record keeping
- A business acumen partnered with a dedication to legality
- Methodical and diligent with outstanding planning abilities
- An analytical mind able to “see” the complexities of procedures and regulations
- Excellent communication skills (especially in policy writing)
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship
- Ability and willingness to travel 1-3 times per year internationally (typical international trip will be 5-14 days depending on location and reason for trip).
- Physical requirements match that of a typical office worker