At Samaritan’s Purse, the Gospel really is at the center of all we do! We start each day with a time of devotions and prayer and from there we go into our work empowered to make a difference in the world. Our teams are full of passionate people who want to work with excellence and serve to make an eternal impact.
A day in the life of a Learning & Strategic Development Director in South Sudan
The Learning and Strategic Development Director role seeks to better understand the needs of the communities that we serve and to develop strategies to help focus the South Sudan team, resources, and fundraising efforts towards achieving positive outcomes for those in most need. This leader researches, engages, evaluates, and advises our teams to make a lasting difference at the community level.
In this role you get the opportunity to:
* Work with Ministry Teams, Area Coordinators, and Program Managers to better engage with communities and understand the successes and challenges of our efforts while helping to identify opportunities to further integrate churches and ministry into our humanitarian work.
* Supervise the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Manager to better understand how our internal MEL assessments evaluate the impact of our programs.
* Work closely with Area Coordinators, Program Managers, and the Grants Unit to build capacity and improve programs by encouraging the use of innovative and creative approaches for increased effectiveness.
* Work collaboratively with Headquarter Technical Advisors, the Deputy Country Directors, Area Coordinators, Program Managers, and the Grants Unit to develop new projects in line with Samaritan’s Purse in-country strategy.
* Attend daily morning devotions and participates in prayer support for the ministry, donors and volunteers.
* Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
* Perform other duties as assigned that are not specifically identified within the content of the job description to bring glory to God.
Qualifications & Experience
* A master’s degree in education, research, or community development; three years of progressive work experience and two years of experience working in a similar low-resource or conflict-prone context; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
* Flexibility, adaptability, and patience with strong communication skills and excellent written and spoken English.
* Skills in training and coaching to build the capacity of local staff.
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with strong cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity to cultural differences.
* Working knowledge of World Health Organization (WHO) and the South Sudan Ministry of Health (MOH) guidelines for healthcare management, and strong insights into the UN Cluster System and USAID program/award guidelines.
* Strong understanding of regional/global perspectives of humanitarian aid and how it informs program design and implementation.
* Awareness of gender issues within the humanitarian context.
* Confident and proficient in the use of Microsoft Office.
Job Location: Juba, South Sudan
Type (Full-Time/Part-Time/Associate): Full- Time
Restrictions (Accompanied/Non-Accompanied): Non-Accompanied (no spouse or children)
Language Requirement: English fluency required
Travel Expectations: 10-20% domestic travel within South Sudan.
* Career with purpose!
* Medical, prescription, dental & vision coverage
* Disability insurance
* Term Life insurance
* Retirement savings plan (after 1 year)
* 10 paid holidays (holiday observance will depend on the host country)
* 12 vacation days per year
* Annual home leave
Samaritans Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritans Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritans Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing Gods love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Your "Thursday Three" email gives you the latest news of interest and upcoming events. It focuses on the "sweet spot" where the Christian world meets the development and policy worlds.
P.O. Box 15815
Washington DC, 20003
© 2021 Accord Network. All rights reserved.