National Director of Volunteer Leadership
Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a rapidly growing Christian engineering nonprofit working to end the global water crisis by building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served more than 4 million people in 56 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world.
What is the opportunity?
The Director of Volunteer Leadership will be responsible for developing and implementing a national high impact volunteer program that includes a network of volunteers that are recruited, selected, and equipped to lead other volunteers who advocate and invite others to give their time, talent and treasure to make a Kingdom impact through solving the global water crisis. The Director will be responsible for working with leadership to develop processes and procedures for recruiting and selecting volunteers, developing training curriculum, and providing on-going leadership of high impact volunteer teams. The Director will develop and implement 2-year and 5-year strategic plans that build area teams and a regional structure that further support Water Mission’s monthly giving program, Walk for Water, education and awareness, and prayer team that provides a best-in-class experience for volunteers and donors. A successful Volunteer Leadership Director will:
· Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, donors, charitable beneficiaries, and general public
· Commit to pray for the success of the Volunteer Leadership program
· Maintain a high-level knowledge of Water Mission’s projects and activities which require funding and all practices that impact donors and volunteers
· Work with Water Mission leadership and external consultant to develop and implement a 90-day, two-year, and five-year strategic plans that establishes a network of volunteers across the United States – forming area teams of high impact volunteers who are responsible for furthering the mission of Water Mission through inviting others to give their time, talent and treasure to make a Kingdom impact through solving the global water crisis
· Develop all processes and procedures and fully implement the High Impact Volunteer Model to recruit, select, equip, lead, and develop volunteer leaders across the United States
· Work with the Marketing and Communications Department to develop a media strategy that shares volunteer stories and communicates the message of Water Mission in a powerful way resulting in highly qualified volunteer prospects who align with Water Mission’s core values
· Develop a recruitment strategy to discover prospects to serve in a volunteer role within an area team structure
· Interview and select volunteers to serve at the highest level of leadership within the volunteer network building effective volunteer teams across the United States
· Develop and implement a training plan that ensures volunteers are fully equipped to serve as advocates for the 2.1 billion people who lack access to safe water
· Effectively lead and coach volunteers who will in turn lead and coach other volunteers
· Work in conjunction with Water Mission leadership to lead volunteers in implementing strategies including but not limited to securing monthly donors, developing and implementing the Walk for Water program, and other strategies that produce cost effective results
· Develop annual review process for giving and receiving regular feedback, yearly evaluations, experience surveys, etc.
· Develop and implement a recognition and retention plan that builds one-on-one relationships, provides a platform for transparent two-way communications, and celebrates and honors volunteers throughout the year
· Maintain and develop appropriate use of technology to schedule and communicate with volunteers. In addition, maintain and develop use of Blackbaud Raisers Edge database to track statistical information and program records
· Embrace and incorporate a prayer and education/awareness strategies within the area team structure.
· Develop regional structure that would include the recruitment, selection, training and leadership of staff that oversee regions of area team volunteers
What is required?
· Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ
· Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science required
· Passion and calling to develop strong relationships with others who are passionate about solving the global water crisis
· 3-5 years of experience leading and developing volunteers and volunteer teams is required. Experience in implementing the High Impact Volunteer Model preferred
· Proficiency with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge software preferred
· Experience in inviting others to give their time, talent and treasure is a plus
Interested, qualified applicants should apply at watermission.org/apply.
Your "Thursday Three" email gives you the latest news of interest and upcoming events. It focuses on the "sweet spot" where the Christian world meets the development and policy worlds.
P.O. Box 15815
Washington DC, 20003
© 2020 Accord Network. All rights reserved.