Conference and Events Manager
Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a nonprofit Christian engineering organization that designs, builds, and implements safe water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) solutions for people in developing countries and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served more than 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about our Statement of Faith and Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
The Conference and Events Manager will lead the event design and implementation of a large conference and a wide range of events hosted by Water Mission’s Partnerships and Communications Division. Working cross-departmentally, the Conference and Events Manager will develop, plan, and execute an annual conference as well as other events. He or she will be responsible for handling various details, from coordinating production and AV needs to providing speaker support and developing timelines and budgets. This position requires innovation and creativity to determine the appropriate format (whether in-person or virtual/online events) to support Water Mission’s annual Partners Summit, the bi-annual Country Directors Reception, the Volunteer Appreciation Dinner, and other key donor and volunteer events across the United States. This role reports to the Senior Director of Events and Engagement and will be based at Water Mission’s headquarters in Charleston, SC.
Represent Water Mission
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, donors, volunteers, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
- Maintain high-level knowledge of Water Mission’s organizational objectives, programmatic strategies, projects, and activities, as well as local, regional, and national news-worthy issues to support the Events and Engagement team effectively.
- Effectively communicate the mission and scope of Water Mission to various audiences.
- Represent Water Mission at events as assigned.
Lead and Implement Key Events
- Develop a vision for and lead the planning and implementation of Water Mission’s annual partners conference – the Partners Summit. With senior leadership, develop the vision, goals, schedule, speaking points, and post-event evaluation.
- Work interdepartmentally to lead the development of the program and supporting materials for the annual Partners Summit.
- Oversee the logistics of the Partners Summit (and other events as assigned) by working directly with administrative support (and other departments as needed) to develop and maintain invitation lists, responses/registrations, reports, and other details. Ensure all relevant updates and conversations are added to Water Mission’s CRM, Raiser’s Edge.
- Lead the day-of implementation of the two-day Partners Summit and other events at Water Mission headquarters, including the set-up, tear-down, accommodations, food and beverage, audio/visual, security, resources, merchandise, insurance, and other logistics that create a successful event.
- Develop and maintain a network of vendors for catering, AV, and other logistical support; negotiate with vendors; work internally to ensure venue contracts are signed.
- Work in conjunction with the Marketing and Communications Department to ensure communication tools are created and effectively utilized for each event. Materials could include, but are not limited to, electronic and print invitations, agendas, programs, name tags, posters, videos, photographs, and social media posts.
- Work with Charleston Volunteers Manager to identify volunteer needs for the successful implementation events held at Water Mission. Oversee day-of volunteers by providing appropriate training and supervision, ensuring volunteers have a positive experience.
- Work with Global Partnerships Department, Investor Partnerships Department, and the National Volunteer Ministry to develop additional events that target specific audiences. Assist with the program design, invitation strategy, and coordination with Marketing and Communications for supporting materials.
- Utilize Smartsheet to plan event or project deliverables, assign tasks, establish timelines, and monitor progress. Ensure project status is kept current and accurate at all times.
- Continuously tweak and accept feedback of planning and implementation process to improve overall experience and smoothness in the execution of events.
- Additional duties as assigned.
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and Core Values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity.
- Commitment to the values and mission of the organization and ending the global water crisis.
- Consistently present a professional image and effectively communicate the mission and purpose of Water Mission.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of conference planning, event coordination, and management experience.
- Event coordination experience required. The capacity for these events could be between 100 and 500 attendees.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including constructively articulating ideas and feedback.
- Demonstrated ability to lead day-of-event volunteers and staff in the implementation of events.
- Proven organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Thrives under pressure and has a proven track record of meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work in a highly fluid environment and ability to respond to changing requests.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse groups of people.
- Flexibility to work periodic nights and weekends as required for ministry operations.
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Ability to travel, as necessary, to support events if needed.