Partnerships Director, Foundations
Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a nonprofit Christian engineering organization that designs, builds, and implements safe water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) solutions for people in developing countries and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served more than 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about our Statement of Faith and Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
The Partnerships Director, Foundations will lead the management of Water Mission’s grant portfolio for family, private, and community foundations. He or she will work to build Water Mission’s presence in a variety of circles, intentionally build long-term relationships, and contribute to the funding goals for our annual budget. The role will work within Water Mission’s Investor Partnerships (IP) team to support the grant writing process by winning alignment between our key partners’ foundational objectives and the mission to end the global water crisis. He or she will also be responsible for keeping them thanked, connected, updated, and feeling valued, and lift the relationships to show their impact in the efforts to solve the global water crisis, saving lives now and for eternity. This position reports to the Senior Director of Investor Partnerships and can be based remotely or at Water Mission’s headquarters in Charleston, SC.
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, donors, volunteers, and the general public.
- Maintain high-level knowledge of Water Mission’s organizational objectives, programmatic strategies, projects, and activities.
- Document and maintain information related to all communications and partner development in a timely manner using Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge software.
- Faithfully serve our existing and prospective partners, upholding the Water Mission biblical philosophy of stewardship.
- Effectively communicate the mission and scope of Water Mission to various audiences.
- Represent Water Mission at events as requested.
- Support Global Water Center initiatives as assigned by the Senior Director of Investor Partnerships.
- Other duties as assigned.
Intentionally Seek and Present Opportunities
- Research and organize funding streams including, but not limited to, new opportunities, requirements for each funding opportunity or institution, appropriate deadlines, etc.
- Find and connect with prospective funding partners through networking and research.
- Win relationships with current and prospective funding partners. Actively align application pieces with Water Mission’s key messaging.
- Develop and execute an annual plan to secure new and renewed funding that will increase Water Mission’s grant revenue from both national and international funding sources. Ensure deadlines and relevant information are documented on master calendar and spreadsheet.
Develop and Implement Grant Process
- Collaborate and support the Investor Partnerships team with current and future opportunities.
- Write grant applications and submit necessary documents to key funding partners.
- Keep partners connected and updated through customized impact reports in a timely manner after grants are received.
- Lift key partners’ awareness of the impact, ministry, and vision for ongoing partnership as a means of solving the global water crisis, saving lives now and for eternity.
- Follow up with funders if a grant application is not accepted to gather feedback.
- Document and maintain information related to all communications and partner development.
- Measure the success of the grants program and build reports for Senior Directors, the Vice President of Partnerships and Communications, and other senior leadership members.
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity.
- Consistently present a professional image and effectively communicate the mission and purpose of Water Mission.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Master’s degree is beneficial, but not required.
- Minimum of five years of experience in nonprofit or grant-writing field.
- Experience in developing and managing budgets.
- Proven track record of raising $1,000,000+ annually through grant proposals.
- Strategic thinking and experience developing and executing on original ideas; track record of proactively identifying grant opportunities and executing supporting plans.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly articulate ideas and feedback in a constructive way.
- Ability to work in a highly fluid environment, respond to changing requests, and handle competing priorities.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse groups of people.
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Flexibility to work periodic nights and weekends as required for ministry operations.
- Commitment to the values and mission of the organization and ending the global water crisis.
- Ability to travel 25-50 nights annually, including domestic and international as necessary.