The Intersection of Calling and Career
World Vision is hiring a Policy Advisor for Global Health to serve on the Advocacy and Government Relations team.
01 At a Glance
Role: Policy Advisor for Global Health
Location: Washington, D.C. USA
Reports to: Director of Government Relations
Required experience: Bachelor’s degree, 5-7 years work experience
Work Authorization: Must be authorized to work in the U.S.A. for any employer.
Travel: Up to 10 percent of time both in development and fragile contexts.
02 The Job: World Vision is looking for a Policy Advisor for Global Health to serve as the advocacy lead on key health policy issues impacting women and children, including both communicable and non-communicable diseases, prevention of maternal and child deaths, health workforce and systems strengthening, global health security and nutrition. This includes representing World Vision in priority coalitions and roundtables (Maternal and Child Health, Frontline Health Workers, Global AIDS Policy Partnership) and monitoring other coalitions and policies that connect with World Vision health priorities.
03 Your Responsibilities Will Include:
– Lead advocacy efforts focused on assigned, specialized subject matter. Promote justice for the world’s poor and oppressed people through advocacy among governments, global institutions, World Vision U.S. (WVUS) donors and the general public. Serve as department’s primary advisor and resource on assigned topic areas and help carry out our Christian organization’s mission, vision, and strategies. Personify the ministry of World Vision by witnessing to Christ and ministering to others through life, deed, word and sign.
– Serve as policy and advocacy focal point on global health issues with Congress, the Administration, U.N. agencies and external coalitions.
– Coordinate with country offices, World Vision International, program management staff and global heath programs senior leadership around policy messaging, operational challenges, and pre-positioning for public and private funding opportunities.
– Contribute to preparing and planning around key global moments and conferences, including travel and participation where appropriate.
– Identify legislation, support letters, and policy priorities for the organization on global health issues. Lead advocacy efforts on appropriations requests to support key global health accounts, including family planning and maternal and child health.
– Position World Vision as a global health policy and programming thought leader by developing events, briefings, and policy papers. – Identify and preposition for opportunities to testify before Congress and support the external engagement of senior leadership of the organization.
– Support efforts for advocacy mobilization of World Vision supporters and donors, including writing legislative summaries, blog posts and talking points.
– Lead the planning and execution of Congressional learning trips to see World Vision and partner programming.
– Work collaboratively with team members when assigned to work as part of a team.
– Keep Christ central in our individual and corporate lives. Attend and participate in the leadership of devotions, weekly Chapel services, and regular prayer.
– Keep informed of organizational announcements, activities and changes via regular reading of the WVUS Intranet and other corporate communication tools.
– Perform other duties as assigned.
04 You Bring These Skills:
– Experience working in coalitions with diverse partners
– Experience initiating work across portfolios and departments within an organization: breaking silos, consolidating conversations/initiatives
– Strong reading comprehension and writing skills
– Government relations experience with the Department of State, USAID, and/or Congress
– Ability to manage multiple tasks/issues and to set clear priorities
– Must have a mature faith demonstrated by a personal commitment to Jesus Christ and service to others
05 Education and Experience:
– Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (eight years) work experience.
– In addition to education or educational equivalent, requires work experience with global health programs, policy or advocacy issues and interaction with the executive and legislative branches of the U.S. government; 5-7 years.
06 Additional Skills We Are Interested In: Ability to manage multiple tasks and be responsive to timelines/deadlines. Strong written and oral communication skills, but in particular written skills to communicate with country offices and be respectful of cultural differences. Ability to work with limited direction. Creative thinker who can bring innovative ideas. Must have a mature faith demonstrated by a personal commitment to Jesus Christ and service to others.
07 Where This Job Could Take Your Career: You’ll be part of World Vision USA as well as part of the larger World Vision International Partnership. Globally, we have over 40,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries (~1,000 staff with World Vision US).
08 About World Vision: We’re a global Christian humanitarian organization. We partner with children, families, and their communities to empower them as they reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice. For nearly 70 years, World Vision has followed Jesus’ example to show unconditional love to the poor and oppressed. We serve every child regardless of faith.
09 Salary Range & Benefits: Your salary is important to you, so it’s important to us. Please share your salary expectations with us in the application process to get the conversation started. We also have a robust and comprehensive benefits package to round out our total compensation package.
10 What happens next? We review applications nearly every day assessing strength of fit for the role. If questions arise on our end, we will message you to learn more. Short-listed candidates are contacted for an initial phone conversation with our recruiting staff. Moving deeper into our selection process you can expect to interview 1:1 with a hiring manager. Finalists normally participate in a panel interview where the opportunity to connect with additional members of our staff lends itself to more of a 360-view of the role. Our goal is to fill this vacancy with the right person in the shortest amount of time. All interviews will be virtual at this time.
Job Location: Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
Working Environment / Conditions: Standard/Professional office environment with regular visitation to executive and legislative branches of U.S. government offices and collaborating with NGO’s, donors, and other external audiences. Some international travel required.
Your "Thursday Three" email gives you the latest news of interest and upcoming events. It focuses on the "sweet spot" where the Christian world meets the development and policy worlds.
P.O. Box 15815
Washington DC, 20003
© 2021 Accord Network. All rights reserved.