the Intersection of Calling and Career
World Vision is hiring a Senior Business Development Manager to serve on the Child Protection and Education Team.
At a Glance
Role: Senior Business Development Manager Child Protection and Education Sector
Location: Washington, D.C. USA preferred; remote possible.
Reports to: Director of Child Protection and Education, Resource Development
Required experience: Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline or equivalent work experience (eight years). Master’s degree in Health, Education, International Development, or related technical discipline strongly preferred. In addition to education or education equivalent, requires a minimum of seven years of international relief and development work experience including a minimum of three years of successful proposal development for USAID and other USG donors.
Work Authorization: Must be authorized to work in the USA for any employer.
Travel: Up to 30% of time both in development and fragile contexts.
World Vision is looking for a Senior Business Development Manager to support our rapid growth in public revenue in the international development space. This position will support the US-based Business Development and World Vision National Offices overseas, to identify new opportunities among public sources of funding. The position will:
• collaborate with technical staff to gather required technical content for writing of compliant, responsive, and persuasive technical proposals. When not actively engaged in writing proposals, this person will support corporate Business Development Strategy development and implementation. In this capacity, he/she will develop donor profiles, inform development of critical corporate messaging, advise on development and implementation of long-term donor positioning plans and help to identify, influence and qualify opportunities. He/she will conduct ongoing business development-related research and data analyses to support team and other BD needs.
• Position and manage all components of the proposal development process, ensuring a high quality and timely submission.
• Manage and or/support post submission and lessons learned processes. Utilize program design expertise to guide and lead quality program design (involving US and field based technical and finance colleagues) that builds on evidence-based approaches and is responsive to the guidelines and specification outlined by the donor.
• Engage in the Teams’ development of best practice and evidenced base approaches utilized in proposals.
• Help carry out our Christian organization’s mission and strategy. Candidates must be in agreement with and help to enhance World Vision’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
Your Responsibilities Will Include:
• Pre-positioning/ External Engagement and Networking. Capture / Market Research: Conduct market assessment research as required, on donor needs, opportunity information, competitive landscape, and World Vision capabilities/capacity. Prepare recommendations based on specific go/no-go decision criteria; identify and reach out to potential partners; manage pre-solicitation proposal preparations and bid planning; participate in pre-design meetings and drafting sections of the proposal in advance of the solicitation; coordinate and facilitate design workshops; support field teams to collect relevant country and technical area information that informs design. Translate information into informative technical analysis and strategies. May participate in capture trips, reach out to Regional Teams and/or National Offices, and with identified (and/or identify local partners). Perform continuous updates of and maintain long-term positioning plans, donor profiles/ new clients and prioritized life of awards.
• Proposal Preparation and Coordination: Lead the coordination and development of proposals from initial development to grant submissions; manage inputs from partners’, technical Leads, subject matter experts, and consultants to develop compelling and compliant technical proposal and presentation documents; coordinate/provide technical input to field and US-based finance officers to support the completion of the cost application in alignment with the technical program design; facilitate design workshops with National Office and technical teams; facilitate win strategy development discussions, including development of technical solution, management plan and corporate capability; draft Section Strategy(ies) and subsequent drafts that are compliant with solicitation, responsive to client needs, persuasive and an excellent presentation of our win strategy; manage the proposal review process and check for budget alignment, responsiveness and compliance with donor guidelines; build effective working relationships with partners on proposal bids; support the management of consultants recruited to support proposal development; support writing, copy editing, and formatting for additional proposal efforts and support sections as a contributing writer; collaborate with proposal team and graphics staff to make excellent use of graphics; support the recruitment process to ensure identification and inclusion of qualified key personnel in proposals.
• Post Submission: Contribute to collecting and sharing proposal process lessons learned after the submission; coordinate program design hand over to program manager(s).
• Work collaboratively with team members when assigned to work as part of a team.
• Keep Christ central in our individual and corporate lives. Attend and participate in the leadership of devotions, weekly Chapel services and regular prayer
• Perform other duties as assigned.
You Bring These Skills:
• Demonstrated strong writing, editing, and communication skills
• Ability to work independently in a self-directed, results-oriented environment at a fast pace with strict deadlines.
• Experience conducting international development research and gathering information from multiple sources including desk and field research. Proven ability to facilitate complex, technical discussions of participants with varied perspectives; facilitate design workshops, able to summarize and to identify action items and next steps. Demonstrated ability to distill large quantities of information into concise, salient points.
• Knowledge of education, child protection, youth workforce development, gender, governance sectors a plus. International program management and/or in-country experience a plus.
• Strong analytical skills; able to use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to visualize, articulate, conceptualize or solve complex solutions. Proven organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks successfully under tight deadlines. Strong interpersonal, communication and troubleshooting skills.
• Minimum 7 years’ experience working on writing technical proposals in international development, with major donors and business development, preferably with USAID.
• Five or more years of experience working on USAID proposal responses as a prime or sub-partner, including participating in capture efforts, writing relevant sections of proposals, and developing proposal budgets
• Strong skills with Microsoft Office Suite. Knowledgeable of PC-based word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database applications; demonstrated ability to use Internet as a research tool.
• Willingness and availability to travel internationally up to 30% of the time
• Ability to travel internationally on short notice.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline, Master’s degree in Health, Education, International Development, or related technical discipline preferred. In addition to education or education equivalent, requires a minimum of seven years of international relief and development work experience including a minimum of three years of successful proposal development for USAID and other USG donors. Experience with USG solicitation is required; substantive relevant experience in proposal development for other multilateral or bilateral donors may be considered within the years of experience sought.
Additional Skills We Are Interested In:
• Keen interest and excitement in International Development, business development, entrepreneurial interests, willingness to learn, ambition to take on positions of increasing responsibility.
• Detail-oriented, flexible, and able to handle multiple concurrent tasks.
• Able to work independently as well as part of a team.
• Proficient in one or more foreign languages (French, Spanish) is preferred.
Where This Job Could Take Your Career:
You’ll have an opportunity to mentor/coach a team of Business Development Managers within our talented international programs group and career progression to Subject Matter Experts (SME) Technical Advisor. You’ll be part of World Vision USA as well as part of the larger World Vision International Partnership. Globally, we have over 40,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries (1000 in WVUS).
About World Vision:
We’re a global Christian humanitarian organization. We partner with children, families, and their communities to empower them as they reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice. For nearly 70 years, World Vision has followed Jesus’ example to show unconditional love to the poor and oppressed. We serve every child regardless of faith.
Salary Range & Benefits:
Your salary is important to you, so it’s important to us. Please share your salary expectations with us in the application process to get the conversation started. We also have a robust and comprehensive benefits package to round out our total compensation package. Click here to learn more.
What Happens Next?
We review applications nearly every day assessing strength of fit for the role. If questions arise on our end, we will message you to learn more. Short-listed candidates are contacted for an initial phone conversation with our recruiting staff. Moving deeper into our selection process you can expect to interview 1:1 with a hiring manager. Finalists normally participate in a panel interview where the opportunity to connect with additional members of our staff lends itself to more of a 360-view of the role. Our goal is to fill this vacancy with the right person in the shortest amount of time. All interviews will be virtual at this time.
300 I Street, NE Washington, D.C. preferred. Remote possible.
Working Environment / Conditions
Standard office environment. Domestic and international travel required. May require trips to hazardous locations.
Your "Thursday Three" email gives you the latest news of interest and upcoming events. It focuses on the "sweet spot" where the Christian world meets the development and policy worlds.
P.O. Box 15815
Washington DC, 20003
© 2022 Accord Network. All rights reserved.