Living Water International
Senior Director, Strategy & Innovation
Ware looking for a proven leader to drive strategy and facilitate organizational transformation for the next season of Living Water’s growth and impact. This is an exciting time to join Living Water— we are a 31-year-old organization with an established brand and global resources, but are embracing the future with the mentality of a startup. As we enter into a new long-term strategy cycle, we are committed to taking an agile and spiritually discerning approach to strategy management, building capacity in design thinking and data intelligence, and accelerating the digital transformation of our business model. We believe that shaping our organizational rhythms, systems, and culture in these areas will allow us to more effectively carry out our mission of providing water, for life, in Jesus’ name to millions of people.
In this role, you will be a team leader, a strategy architect, and an internal consultant—helping other leaders and teams across the organization solve their biggest problems and seize their greatest opportunities. You will be able to help shape the structure and direction of the newly-formed Strategy & Innovation team and have career growth opportunities as the team achieves its goals.
These principles guide and identify us as colleagues and representatives of Living Water: • Honor God
- Develop People
- Pursue Excellence
- Be Good Stewards
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and lead a Strategy & Innovation function
- Coach and empower team members—Senior Project Manager, Salesforce Administrators, Data Intelligence Lead (future)—to develop and execute team priorities including those described below.
- Facilitate a cross-functional team of system thinkers and business process experts from Programs, Fundraising, Marketing, Finance, HR, and IT (the Business Solutions Group) to prioritize and coordinate business process improvements.
- Lead strategy management
- Support multi-year strategic planning in close coordination with the executive team and board. Manage the strategy calendar, enabling ongoing (quarterly, monthly) strategic conversations and decisions. Facilitate cascading and alignment of strategy across teams.
- Report, communicate, and educate on strategy. Support a deep understanding of strategic priorities and objectives among all teams and support functions. Provide training and education, and support the executive team in communication of strategy to their teams.
- Integrate organizational processes. Coordinate with Finance, HR, and IT on organizational processes necessary for the success of the strategy—especially annual planning and budgeting, workforce planning, and knowledge management.
- Approach all of strategy management through the lens of spiritual discernment.
- Develop a center of excellence for design thinking and data intelligence • Develop and champion design thinking (and specific tools like Human-Centered Design) as the preferred approach for addressing organizational challenges and opportunities. • Continually improve a shared understanding of Living Water’s business model and the core business processes required to support it. Manage an organization-wide backlog of business problems and opportunities.
- Serve as an internal consultant to leaders and teams, bringing design thinking and data intelligence to bear on a wide range of challenges and opportunities.
- Enable effective project & portfolio management
- Build project management culture, and portfolio management closely linked to strategy. Support the development of good project management practices across the organization, including a transition toward agile (Scrum, Kanban) PM that incorporates Human-Centered Design principles.
- Ensure the effective management of strategic initiatives—cross-cutting projects identified as critical to organizational strategy. Work closely with executive sponsors and key stakeholders to effectively manage work-in-progress limitations, sequencing, and inter-project dependencies.
- Guide digital transformation
- Support a cohesive vision for digital transformation that links strategy to execution and continually improving business processes.
- Oversee the development and execution of a data strategy that supports digital transformation efforts within the Salesforce environment, other connected enterprise applications, and business intelligence tools.
- Ensure the ongoing development of a Salesforce team during a time when the platform is being rolled out, as a linchpin for digital transformation and business process improvement.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE / SKILLS
On the first day, we’ll expect you to have:
- The spiritual maturity to lead within the context of a mission-centric Christian organization. • 5+ years’ experience leading strategy and innovation initiatives within international organizations or consulting firms
- Demonstrated expertise in strategic planning, insight and ideation, experiment design, financial modeling, and business architecture.
- A track record of utilizing data, research, and analysis to drive organizational decisions. • Extensive experience in one or more digital transformation initiatives.
- A proven track record of facilitating change in complex operating environments, including engagement with boards, executive leaders, and across cultural barriers.
- Confident communication and interpersonal skills, along with the robust cultural intelligence necessary to effectively engage with leaders and staff across a global organization. • Ability to work effectively with colleagues in a virtual environment.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, handling and prioritizing simultaneous requests. • Avid curiosity and a commitment to continuous learning and improvement. • Demonstrated proficiency in English, both oral and written.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally (~20% travel, post-COVID).
It’s great, but not required, if you have:
- A higher education degree in business management or a related field.
- Experience with Salesforce architecture or administration.
- Experience in the international development and WASH sectors.
- Certifications and experience in agile project management (e.g. Scrum).
- Training and experience utilizing Human-Centered Design.
More about Living Water
Living Water International exists to demonstrate the love of God by helping communities acquire desperately needed clean water and to experience “living water”—the gospel of Jesus Christ—which alone satisfies the deepest thirst. We mobilize churches and communities through water access, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) interventions to increase the physical, spiritual, and social wellbeing of the most vulnerable in communities around the world. With over 300 global staff, we currently work in 18 countries and have provided access to safe water to nearly 6.5 million people.
- Generous PTO, vacation, and holidays
- Retirement/403(b) with match
- Medical, vision and dental benefits
- Group Life, LTD and AD&D (Employer paid)
- Opportunities for professional development
- Spiritual care and formation program
- Employee assistance program
- Casual dress code