We recommend applications be submitted via the Google Chrome browser if possible. If access to Chrome is not available, we encourage applicants to clear their browser cache and use the most updated, non-beta version of their browser.
Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a nonprofit Christian engineering organization that designs, builds, and implements safe water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) solutions for people in developing countries and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served more than 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about our Statement of Faith and Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
The Volunteer Engagement Specialist is an integral part of the Events & Engagement Team, with specific emphasis on coordinating the national volunteer program. The National Volunteer Specialist will receive and acknowledge all inquiries about volunteer opportunities, conducting an initial assessment of potential fit and roles. The Volunteer Engagement Specialist will manage the volunteer application process and volunteer database. With an understanding of High Impact volunteer management principles and processes, the role will assist in recruiting, selecting, equipping, and leading volunteers. The Volunteer Engagement Specialist will assist in developing and implementing a strategy for ongoing volunteer recognition and retention. This full-time position reports to the Director of National Volunteer Ministry and Community Engagement and will be based at Water Mission’s headquarters in North Charleston, SC.
A successful Volunteer Engagement Specialist will perform the following:
* Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, donors, volunteers, and the general public.
* Maintain high-level knowledge of Water Mission’s organizational objectives, programmatic strategies, projects, and activities.
* Effectively communicate with a variety of audiences about the global water crisis and Water Mission’s vision, mission, values, and solutions.
* Lead tours of Water Mission headquarters on a regular basis.
* Utilize Smartsheet to plan event or project deliverables, assign tasks, establish timelines, and monitor progress. Ensure project status is always kept current and accurate.
* Assist with Water Mission events as assigned.
* Work interdepartmentally to identify volunteer opportunities at Water Mission headquarters. Collaborate with those departments to select, equip, and lead volunteers in assignments that further the mission.
* Help develop and implement a system for receiving applications and tracking volunteer prospects through the interview, selection, onboarding, and placement processes.
* Provide excellent service to people who inquire about volunteer opportunities.
* Support selected volunteers through orientation and onboarding.
* Support all administrative functions pertaining to the High Impact process of recruiting, selecting, equipping, and leading volunteers. This includes but is not limited to:
* Developing and maintaining a volunteer tracking process that includes the inquiry, interview, selection, and placement stages.
* Tracking volunteer activity and program records in Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge and Volunteer Hub.
* Ensure volunteers have a meaningful experience from their first inquiry throughout the process, in which they feel equipped, supported, and appreciated.
* Help develop and implement a volunteer recognition and retention plan that builds one-on-one relationships, provides a platform for transparent two-way communications, and celebrates volunteers throughout the year. This could include, but is not limited to, an annual volunteer appreciation dinner, yearly recognition award, personal notes of encouragement, and annual participant survey.
* Provide oversight and coordination of episodic, administrative, and production volunteers serving at the Water Mission headquarters.
* Work in conjunction with the Charleston Community Engagement Coordinator to recruit, select, and equip episodic volunteers to support the annual Walk for Water in N. Charleston and other special events and one-off activities.
What is required?
* Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
* Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and Core Values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity.
* Alignment with the principles of servant leadership as embraced by Water Mission.
* Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, Marketing, Public Relations, or Communications is preferred.
* Passion and calling to develop strong relationships with others who are passionate about solving the global water crisis.
* Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to build relationships.
* Ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse groups of people.
* Three or more years of experience leading and developing volunteers and volunteer teams is required.
* Proficiency with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge, Volunteer Hub, and/or similar software programs preferred.
* Ability to work in a highly fluid environment and ability to respond to changing requests.
* Willingness to travel periodically within the greater N. Charleston area.
* Ability to lift up to 30 pounds and stand for long periods of time to support events such as the Walk for Water.
* Home internet bandwidth strong enough to support video conferencing and other job-related responsibilities is required.
* Legal authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
* Flexibility to work periodic nights and weekends as required for ministry operations.
* Commitment to the values and mission of the organization and ending the global water crisis.
Your "Thursday Three" email gives you the latest news of interest and upcoming events. It focuses on the "sweet spot" where the Christian world meets the development and policy worlds.
P.O. Box 15815
Washington DC, 20003
© 2022 Accord Network. All rights reserved.