The Intersection of Calling and Career
World Vision is hiring a Water and Sanitation Senior Engineer and Technical Advisor to serve the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programs.
01 At a Glance
Role: Water and Sanitation Sr Engineer (Senior Technical Advisor)
Location: Washington, D.C preferred.; Federal Way, WA or remote options possible
Reports to: Senior Director of Health
Required experience: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering – Civil, Electrical, Environmental or Mechanical required, master’s degree strongly preferred in engineering, water policy, water resource management, economics, business, or another complimentary discipline. Work experience of 7-10 years required in areas of water and sanitation. In addition, this role prefers a PE license, experience in low- and middle-income countries.
Work Authorization: Must be authorized to work in the U.S.A. for any employer.
Travel: Up to 30% of time both in development and fragile contexts.
02 The Job: Water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) are at of Portfolio and the heart of child well-being and foundational to World Vision’s mission for all children and their communities to experience life in all its fullness. For more than 35 years, World Vision has been committed to stand in the gap, globally leveraging resources and locally working alongside communities and governments to ensure millions of children around the world have access to clean water, dignified sanitation, and healthy hygiene practices.
World Vision is implementing a Global WASH Business Plan, which outlines our commitment to invest $1 billion over the next five years to extend the impact of our work across 41 countries. Included in this plan is a significant shift away from traditional practices and boreholes fitted with handpumps, to more complex solar-powered piped-water systems, micro-utility capacity building, innovative financing structures and use of more advanced technologies for monitoring, analysis, and reporting. Developing local capacity, as well as accountability practices of quality assurance and quality control, to deliver sustainable, technologically advanced water and sanitation systems is of utmost priority.
This position will help guide our continuous quality improvements to ensure best practices of design and construction are being implemented at a systems level. This position will work with engineering and technical teams across the World Vision partnership, and at country level, providing any necessary support and improving our system designs, technical capacities, and engineering methods. We’re looking for someone to join our team of 15 tenacious problem solvers that sit in our International Programs Group and help us work towards reaching everyone with sustainable and equitable access to water, sanitation and hygiene services.
03 Your Responsibilities Will Include:
– Review WASH infrastructure designs and other civil projects; provide approval when appropriate, identify improvements, flag risks
– Provide technical direction and assistance to other engineers and technical staff
– Integrate climate resiliency into infrastructure planning
– Review and set organizational engineering standards and guidelines
– Review terms of construction contracts and manage implementation compliance
– Support material selection and procurement and quality control measures
– Support capacity building opportunities for micro utility providers
– Manage technical partnerships
– Engage with donors and respond to questions about WV engineering practices
– Develop quality metrics for infrastructure
– Support proposal development, leveraging our business plan aspirations for increased sector funding; for example: writing sections of proposals, sketches/drawings, capacity statements, technical briefs, cost estimates
– Demonstrate commitment to appropriate, sustainable design
– Display leadership in deploying piped water systems to deliver water closer to people’s homes
– Develop leadership across WV in areas of urban WASH, water + energy, wastewater and solid waste management
04 You Bring These Skills: We’re looking for a well-rounded, experienced water and sanitation engineer who is a self-starter, good communicator, and sagacious problem solver. Also, you should have a strong concern for quality. You will be expected to support multiple simultaneous projects of diverse needs and expectations. Success in this role lies in your ability to influence and persuade as you’ll be working with teams in different departments, different organizations, and across different countries and cultures. This requires relationship building and respecting and adapting to other cultures, religions, and opinions. We’re also hoping that you will make us a better team through consistent and persistent intent to seek improvement in our WASH programs, our team productivity and in your own abilities.
05 Education and Experience:
– Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline – civil, electrical, environmental or mechanical
– Master’s degree strongly preferred.
– In addition to education, requires a minimum of seven years’ relevant work experience in water and sanitation system design
– PE license is preferred
– Experience in solar-powered submersible pumps and gravity flow designs
– Knowledge of Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, and EPANET
– Demonstrated competencies in interpersonal communication, stakeholder engagement and cultural intelligence.
– Experience in low- and middle-income countries strongly preferred
06 Additional Skills We Are Interested In:
– Experience in WASH financing, water resource management, and/or off-grid electrification
– Proficiency in French
– Analytical skills
– Conversant with mWater and ArcGIS
07 Where This Job Could Take Your Career: From a senior technical advisor, you could move into a other senior international development roles, a Technical Director, Sector Director role or other opportunities. You’ll be part of World Vision USA as well as part of the larger World Vision International Partnership. Globally, we have over 40,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries (~1,000 staff with World Vision US).
08 About World Vision: We’re a global Christian humanitarian organization. We partner with children, families, and their communities to empower them as they reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice. For nearly 70 years, World Vision has followed Jesus’ example to show unconditional love to the poor and oppressed. We serve every child regardless of faith.
09 Salary Range & Benefits: Your salary is important to you, so it’s important to us. Please share your salary expectations with us in the application process to get the conversation started. We also have a robust and comprehensive benefits package to round out our total compensation package.
10 To Apply: Click the Apply box in the lower-left corner. We look forward to reviewing your application.
11 What happens next? We review applications nearly every day assessing strength of fit for the role. If questions arise on our end, we will message you to learn more. Short-listed candidates are contacted for an initial phone conversation with our recruiting staff. Moving deeper into our selection process you can expect to interview 1:1 with a hiring manager. Finalists normally participate in a panel interview where the opportunity to connect with additional members of our staff lends itself to more of a 360-view of the role. Our goal is to fill this vacancy with the right person in the shortest amount of time. All interviews will be virtual at this time.
Job Location: Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
Working Environment / Conditions: Standard office environment. Domestic and international travel, up to 35% of the time. May require trips to hazardous locations.
Your "Thursday Three" email gives you the latest news of interest and upcoming events. It focuses on the "sweet spot" where the Christian world meets the development and policy worlds.
P.O. Box 15815
Washington DC, 20003
© 2021 Accord Network. All rights reserved.